Saturday, January 3, 2009

2009

I feel the newness all around me. 2009 will be a good year. Somehow, it already feels different. Coming back from the windy shore of New Jersey and into the dewy fog of Atlanta winter, I can mark change. I feel a little less connected with what was and more inspired by what will be. I changed the running songs on my I-pod and have listened to some of my first non-Latin tunes in months. I signed up for a half-marathon and posted a running calendar with training mileage. I cleaned this little apartment and filled bags with an outdated wardrobe for Goodwill.

If there is a theme for this year, it will be living the passion. In these first three days of the new year, I have been fortunate to be surrounded by people who take their passions seriously. Kristy’s band Double Breasted released their first CD and it is so good that it has me spinning pirouettes in my apartment. Tim is creating new songs and devoting all of his energy into creating a following for his band, the Playground Rivals. Karen has designed a new website and is busy showcasing and selling her folk art. Erik is a one-man musical genius, traveling the world with violin in hand. Jessica is in culinary school, chopping and dicing her way to chef success. Anthony’s now a published writer. Darnell’s penning poems and slamming them at open mics. Stacy’s snapping photos and creating his unique world travel journal.

My sleeping writer dreams have been roused. Years and years of dreaming that I would be a crazy writer gal who travels the world and pens people’s stories still exist. And if, in the words of a friend, all it takes is believing in myself enough to know that I can do what it is I want to do, then here is where I begin. This blog is an attempt at helping myself to write again. I hope that I can do so fearlessly and remain inspired.

Cheers to the newness of 2009.

No comments: