Saturday, June 28, 2008

Quitelas! Quitelas!

Some things I've learned to do without, while living in Honduras:

Money: As a volunteer, there's not too much of it. With the help of Jess and Annie, I've learned to be creative, throw inexpensive parties and make dinners out of next to nothing. I'm happy to receive "new" recycled clothes from friends rather than shop for new ones. They're just as good! I wonder if this frugality can carry over to the States?

Air conditioning: Even though this is a HOT country, my body has adjusted to the warm temperature. On the days when there is an unexpected cold front (of maybe 70 degrees Fahrenheit), I've found myself saying "Geez, it's freezing!" On the hottest days, I've grown used to sweating and have learned how to take showers or bucket baths to cool down. I really like living in the actual temperature of the world, rather than dodging in and out of air-conditioned/heated rooms to be outdoors.

Daily exercise: Before coming here, I ran nearly every day and scheduled my day around exercise. If I didn't exercise, I'd stress out about it. Now, I walk everywhere and sometimes get inspired to jump rope or do a round of sit ups and push ups. I'm not exactly a model of physical fitness, but I'm still getting out there in the world. I feel good and I'm confident that a modified exercise routine will start up again at home…

Trying to be beautiful: Forget the makeup- that ran out about 4 months ago. Forget the blow dryer or the fancy bath products or lotions. It's pretty simple: I bathe, run a comb through my hair and go. All natural. I prefer it that way.

Everyday eating norms: Jess and I haven't bought napkins in months and have learned to eat many foods with our fingers rather than with the fork and spoon. It's the Honduran way. Cake? Tajadas? Beans and tortillas? Carne asada? Who needs a fork for those?

Preventative medicines: When I arrived, my bag was chock full of malaria pills, vitamins, bug sprays and sunscreens. Right now, those are stuffed in a box on top of my closet. Perhaps I'm not being as careful as the North American doctors advised? Perhaps I just don't worry as much anymore?

Constant entertainment: There's no TV here. There's no super speedy internet connection to download You Tube videos or CNN news blurbs. Jess and I (and our various roommates) have learned to chill out in a quieter way- sitting, reading, talking, playing cards, having friends over or philosophizing about life. I enjoy this slower paced life so much!

No comments: