Friday, May 23, 2008

Fire on the mountain

The air is smoky and the sky is hazy. This is the time of the year when the campesinos burn the fields and mountainsides to fortify the soil for the next planting season. Therefore, the smell of fire is constantly in the air. When I come home at night, I look out at the panorama of mountains on all sides of my casita and see the grand gleam of orange- fires burning mountains in the distance. This is meant to be controlled burning, but I've never actually seen people watching the fields burn. I suppose the fires just stop, but last week a fire burned down some power lines in Olancho, causing the power to be out here for a couple of days.

The fiery, smoky air is just a backdrop for what is really going on, though. In these past two months, I've had a grand transformation of heart. I guess it could just be called the upper curve of the cultural transition graph, but that's not it. I have fallen in love with Juticalpa, Olancho and Honduras in ways that I haven't felt until this point. Everything is romantic because for once, I feel as though I live here. I, the little blanquita, Espanolita, living in campo uno, am a part of this world. I adore my corner house and sitting on the stoop, playing with the children next door. I love that when I'm in my house I still feel as though I am outside. I smell the rain coming, hear the roosters crowing at all hours of the day and dance to music blaring from nearby bodegas. I love that I can stand outside under a million stars, talking to a special friend until the wee hours of the morning. I love that when I wake up at 5am, the world is waking up with me. I walk to the pulperia to buy a bolsa of semitas and see women buying tortillas and men biking to work. I am thrilled everytime my students speak to me in clear, beautiful English and can hardly believe that they learned this from me.

In all of this excitement, I've thought a lot about staying here. Oh, there are days when I want to so badly! But, at this point, I know that I can't. I no longer make decisions only for myself. Family and friends tug on my heart. If I stayed, I'd be in love, and want to stay for a long time. Returning is the only practical option. (But, oh how I prefer romance to practicality!) Yesterday, I accepted a teaching position in Atlanta and bought my ticket to come home on July 7th. Beginning in August, I'll be teaching Humanities at Atlanta Charter Middle School in Grant Park. This too, is exciting, but right now all I can do is absorb the wonder and excitement around me. There is a soundtrack to these emotions- it's the bittersweet sound of bachata that plays constantly here. It's beautiful, but heartbreaking at the same time.

Ay, ya. Me voy. Right now, I'm off to visit my friend Ena and her two-day old baby girl. I spent yesterday laying face to face with this precious little babe, touching her cheeks and finger-holding her itty-bitty hands. Que increible es la vida!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Atlanta Charter MS! Congrats, Colleen! Those students, their families and your future colleagues are so lucky!!! I'm thrilled for you and can't wait to see you in July. Do you have any trips planned when you arrive back home, or are you staying put for a while?

Love and miss you and send big, big hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hello Coll!
What an amazing adventure you have had. Sounds like you have done great things in Hondorous and will definitely be leaving your mark there. Would love to reconnect when you make it back home. Safe travels to you and I hope you enjoy your last month there.
Love,
AL

I joined the world of blogging earlier this year...check it out if you get a minute. I've got something exciting brewing.
http://thedawsonspectacle.blogspot.com