December in Honduras means fireworks. Well, maybe just more fireworks than usual. At 5am, I wake up to loud booms and swishes outside my window. (Who does that?) The other day, Jessica and I discovered our two-year old neighbor, wearing only underpants, using a box of matches to light pop rocks in our front yard. Lighting fireworks is the way to ring in the Christmas season around here. Feliz Navidad!
December also means that we've completed the first bimestre at Santa Clara, I've spent my first Thanksgiving in Central America (still delicious) and that I'm preparing my little fourth grade choir for the Navidad Juntos Christmas celebration next Friday. Yes, Miss Devine is leading little performers in singing Spanish and English songs. It's quite a time!
Last weekend, Jessica and I took a getaway to Valle de Angeles, a touristy city in the mountains outside Tegucigalpa, and lived it up. Valle de Angeles is this beautiful, little town with cobblestone streets and lamp lit paths that I can hardly believe exists in this poor country. The mountain air was cool and we drank hot chocolate in quaint cafes and did all of our Christmas shopping. It was the first time that I felt like a real turista here and I actually liked it.
In just two weeks, I will be home for a descanso. I cannot wait to take that first hot shower, stay inside and curl up under warm blankets and drink water straight from the tap. I'll be home for ten days, some in New Jersey and some in Georgia, and I'll see many of you soon. Can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment