9-16-07
This morning, we attended mass in Jutiquile, a town about six miles away from Juticalpa. The department of Olancho does not have enough priests, so Padre voluntarily conducts mass there on Sundays. Since this is the only time that mass is offered all week, the church was packed. Mass was so fun! People brought their own instruments- tambourines and turtle shell drums- and played along with all of the songs. There was lots of dancing and hand movements to accompany the music and when we did the sign of peace, everyone in the church left their seats to go hug and kiss everyone else. We were swarmed by all of the children, wanting to hug us. After mass, I met one of the students who will be in my class. Michael is blind, but has not always been so. He was born able to see, but lost his sight in a bad operation. I squeezed his hand and told him that I would be his maestra this school year; he smiled. I have seen poor communities, but nothing like this. In Baltimore and Atlanta, I saw impoverished people with attitudes of anger and resentfulness. Here, the people are filled with a spirit of resilience despite how little they have. Que increible!
Monday, September 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So incredible, I am living vicariously through your experiences. Please keep sharing all the sights and sounds of what you encounter, it sounds fascinating and humbling all at the same time! Miss you!
Post a Comment