9-21-07
One week in Honduras! I think time passes much faster when you are adjusting to life in foreign place. You learn so much in every minute that it's only days before you have a tough time imagining not knowing the place where you now live. Yes…I suppose Honduras is beginning to feel like home.
Yesterday, the directors and teachers of Santa Clara concluded that the new building would not be ready in time for the scheduled start of the school year on Monday, September 24th. So…the school year will now begin on the following Monday, October 1st. I called the parents of my students tonight to share the news. ¡Que disastre! It is so difficult speaking and understanding Spanish over the phone; I rely so much on hand gestures and facial expressions. The parents did get the message, but I have no idea what they are now thinking about their child's gringa teacher….A de mi…
I've really enjoyed this week of teacher preparation. It's great to be a part of a new school under inspiring leadership. Every teacher has a voice in all that is going on. We spent the week discussing schoolwide discipline and curriculum, painting the new building and dividing resources. My classroom, or mi aula, has yet to be painted, so I am thankful for the extra time. Today, we voted on fabrics for the teacher uniforms. Teacher uniforms are a strange concept to me, but I suppose I will enjoy not having to select my clothing each day. We chose a different fabric for the tops and the bottoms for each day of the week. Now, I must go to a seamstress in town, select styles for my blouses and pants and be measured for the clothing. On Wednesdays, we're wearing a white flowered blouse and bright pink pants and on one of the days the pants are bright green!
I am glad for the descanso that this weekend will provide. I should have plenty of time to get to the internet café and reconnect. My roommates and I share one cell phone and currently do not have access to the internet at our house. However, in the next few weeks, we will have OUR OWN cell phones and we will have the internet installed at our house. Communication may be sparse for the next couple of weeks, but I will be in touch. I certainly miss all of you!
Saturday, September 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment